PUBLISHED by AB Removals - 21 Mar, 2016
Relocating offices can be a lengthy and stressful time for businesses. Whether you’re upsizing, downsizing or simply changing locations, moving your business is a tough job. We’ve put together a list of 5 top tips to help your office move go without a hitch.
- Planning your space: Unless rushing is unavoidable, you should always try to plan the bulk of your office moving process in advance. That way you’ll be able to nut out all of the little details and make sure you’re not overburdened and stressed on the days of the move. Once it’s final and you know you’re moving into a new office space, it’s always a good idea to scope out the space and figure out where everything (and everyone) will go. This is especially important if you are downsizing, you don’t want to be left with too much stuff and too little space. Creating a map or floor plan is a great way to make sure employees and movers are all on the same page when it comes to transferring your belongings.
- Book your removalists in advance: Moving an office requires planning, equipment and small details to get it done right. If possible, it’s always a good idea to book your moving company a little while in advance to ensure that everyone is prepared when it comes to the move. A lot goes into a successful office relocation, so make sure your removalists are experienced in office removals and will provide you with a site assessment and quote. The movers you hire should be held to the same professional standard as anyone else you may do business with.
- Transfer all things technical: With an office typically comes technical equipment, and most of the time, this equipment is crucial to the running of your business. Be sure to give your IT team some notice ahead of time to begin planning the transfer of things like phone plans, internet connections and computer systems. Giving the necessary people a heads up on what’s to come will help you transition into a new location much easier and let you to get back to business sooner.
- Clean and declutter: Aside from the scale, moving homes and moving offices have a lot in common. Just like when moving house, relocating your office is a great opportunity to deep clean and de-clutter your belongings. Don’t bring things you don’t need! It’s always great to move into a new space feeling fresh and free of the weight of old papers, unneeded furniture and outdated or broken equipment. So shred it, toss it, sell it or donate it before your move offices.
- Change your address everywhere: Don’t forget to let everyone know that you’re changing locations! Make sure your clients, employees, suppliers and other stakeholders know where and when you’re moving to avoid confusion or loss of contact. This is especially important if your phone lines are going to be temporarily down. Its also extremely important to update your address on your website, social media and anywhere else it appears online. Also consider business cards, letter heads and any other publicity materials. Try making these changes at least a week in advance incase there is any delay time for the updates.
If you need help relocating offices, give AB Removals a call on 1300 884 089!