PUBLISHED by AB Removals - 19 Jan, 2016
We all love our children, but moving homes with kids (or when you’re expecting) can be a real challenge. We, at AB Removals, have learned some helpful tips and tricks that can help you and your children to experience a stress free move.
Before The Move:
- Tell your children in advance where, when and why you are moving to help prepare them for the change.
- Take time to explain to them the benefits of moving, in a way they will be able to understand.
- Remember, moving can be exciting! So focus on appealing to your child’s inner adventurer.
- Make the move more concrete by showing your kids maps and pictures to illustrate the change.
- Get the kids involved with planning and organising their own bedrooms.
During The Move:
- Focus on involving your kids as much as possible, a good way is to let them mark their own packing boxes.
- Pack a special bag to take to your new home containing your child’s favourite toys and activities. This will help the transition.
- Don’t forget to have snacks ready!
- Unpack the children’s bedrooms first so they can settle in while the rest of the house is still being organised.
After The Move:
- Plan a family get-together to welcome everyone to your new home. Why not make a cake and sing happy birthday to the new house?
- Get back into routines, like mealtime and bedtime as soon as possible to provide consistency.
- Take steps to create familiarity by ensuring your kids feel comfortable in their new rooms. Perhaps a night light or an extra long cuddle before bed is in order?
- Explore your new neighbourhood as a family. Be sure to stop at the library, visit their new school and play at the local park!